The de Bono Institute was established with the help of the Andrews Foundation and Dr. Edward de Bono in 1996. It began when Dr. de Bono was once asked to describe his ‘ideal country’.
He replied, “It would have a population of under 25 million; it would be somewhere in the Pacific Basin; it would have to have the English language. It would have reasonably articulate, literate and clever people. With that going for it, we could create the most astonishing country. But actually it already exists – it’s called Australia.”
Dr. Edward de Bono with the Andrews Foundation in Melbourne was presented with an idea of turning his ‘most astonishing country’ into reality. They saw an opportunity to invest in Australia’s future by supporting the creation of the de Bono Institute, a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping young Australians equip themselves to face the challenges of the 21st Century.
Since its conception in 1996, the Institute has conducted research, developed materials and produced programs and interventions in the field of education, business and start-up companies with a specific focus on thinking skills and Edward de Bono’s methodologies.
In 2013, the Institute saw a need to change its identity to reflect its broadened focus and encompass its work in areas such as developmental psychology and neuroscience.
Accordingly, Elevo Institute was born. Working in partnership with thought leaders, universities, schools, corporates, governments and developmental partners, Elevo Institute aims to:
- Develop the creative potential of young people as a preparation for the challenges of a rapidly changing world, and an unknowable future.
- Improve teaching and learning through the development of well-researched and tested innovative methodologies.
- Collaborate and liaise with creative and enterprising thinkers.
- Incubate new ideas, taking them from thought leadership to the school/classroom.
- Offer hard evidence and practical advice to support the design and use of innovative learning and thinking tools.
- Communicate the latest thinking and practice in education.